Articles that can't be moved

Unfortunately, there are some things that movers are not licensed to move or that are not recommended to be in the same shipment as the your household goods.

Such items are:

  1. Hazardous Materials,
  2. Perishables,
  3. Plants,
  4. Pets and,
  5. Jewelry, monies, stock and bond certificates.

Hazardous Materials

A. Federal and state laws prohibit movers from transportation of hazardous materials with household goods, a mover may be subject to a penalty of up to $250,000.

Hazardous materials include explosives, compressed gases, flammable liquids and solids, oxidizers, poisons, corrosives, and radioactive materials. Example of such articles:

  • Nail polish remover,
  • Paints,
  • Paint thinners,
  • Lighter fluid,
  • Gasoline,
  • Fireworks,
  • Oxygen bottles,
  • Propane cylinders,
  • Car repair and maintenance chemicals, and
  • Radio-pharmaceuticals.


B. Perishables can be transported locally, at the risk of the shipper. The mover will not insure those items, and will not allow them on long distance moves as they will spoil and the smell may permanently damage other articles being transported. We recommend customers to use up all frozen foods prior to relocation.


C. Plants are not allowed to be transported across most states. Each states have their own guidelines and regulations. If you are planning to transport your plants with in the same state, your mover will not take responsibility over safety of your plants. Your mover will not be able to take care of them, and there is a chance your plants will suffer from weather changes, or lack of water, as the household trucks are not climate controlled and the movers will not water your plants during transit.

D. Pets must be transported with customer for the same reason as your plants. But there is also a good amount of advice posted on pet sites of how to prepare your pets to the move. Making sure they have up to date vaccinations, finding a veterinary near your new residence, etc.


E. Your valuables should be kept out of reach of strangers during your move. It is a good idea to keep those on yourself, or in a safety deposit box at the bank. Once you are relocated and your safe is moved and secured at your new residence then you can safely relocate your jewelry, valuable papers, etc to your new place. If you can not make appropriate arrangements, your mover will transport those valuable for you, under section of "items of extraordinary value". Any article valued over $100.00 per pound qualifies as such, and the customer must provide mover with an inventory of each such article. The list my contain the description of each article and its actual cost. Movers liability will be limited to $100 per pound, we strongly recommend to insure those items through a third party insurance policy. Start with homeowner's policy or check other moving related insurance companies.